Community Worship Services and Children’s Religious Exploration begin each Sunday at 11:00 AM
August 31 at 11AM
"The Importance of Play"
Erna Olfason, PhD
Play is fun, silly, joyous, mischievous, exuberant, voluntary, anarchic, and light-hearted. All baby mammals play, crows play, ravens play, and humans can play all our lives. We will consider how play shapes the brain, stimulates creativity, heals wounds, and gives us space to express our joy while connecting with the best in ourselves and those around us. Erna Olafson is a psychologist who focuses on childhood trauma and maltreatment. She is on the faculty at the UC College of Medicine, and is a friend of St. John’s.
September 7 at 11AM
Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
If you wish, bring water collected from a place that is special to you, to share with others in community.
September 14 11AM
"To Be a Welcoming Congregation"
Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
There is this scene in Genesis, where Abraham is sitting in front of his tent as strangers approach. He does not know them but he runs to greet them. It is just a little line that has kept my attention. Abraham welcomes the stranger. St John’s is a “Welcoming Congregation,” a designation which means that we welcome people of all gender identities and expressions. Personally, I think Abraham would too. Come Sunday and explore the ancient biblical text and our current culture.
September 21 at 11AM
"Where Appalachian and Hispanic Cultures Meet"
We will welcome singer-songwriter, storyteller and otherwise fine human being, Carla Gover, to St. John’s. Carla has spent years sharing wisdom from Appalachian culture with the wider world. While working towards her master’s degree, Carla has explored the points of connection between Appalachian and Hispanic cultures and will bring us wisdom for a changing world punctuated with song. Carla is a first-place winner of Merlefest's Chris Austin Songwriting Contest as well as the prestigious Kerrville New Folk Award and the Flatrock Music Festival Songwriter Contest. She was born and raised in Eastern Kentucky.
Our Mission: St. John’s is committed to creating a safe and caring community, working for peace and social justice, and celebrating beliefs that respect freedom of thought.
Sermons by our minister the Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh and guests are available here. Most are available as recorded sermons and others are text indicated by (text).
You are welcome to listen to or download our sermons. Share them with friends if you think they will inspire them. Please respect the source of these words of as well as the law that requires permission to reproduce or sell them. Enjoy!
Sermons by our minister the Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- One Wonderful Year August 10, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Living the Seven Principles Through Music Therapy July 27, 2014 Alexandra Wilson
- Learning from The Left Hand of Darkness July 6, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Faith of our Fathers June 15, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Who was Jesus / Compassion as a Spiritual Practice May 18, 2014 Nancy Johnson, sermon in text.
- Coming Back to Life: An Easter Morning Service April 20, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Holy Ground April 6, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- What for and what if…? March 16, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- What Good is Evil? March 9, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Arjuna and Krishna: Complicated Peace February 23, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- On Being a White Minister February 16, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Sanctuary and Service at old St. John's February 9, 2014 Charles Seibert
- Begin again February 2, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Dragon Dance January 26, 2014 Rev. Bonnie Meyer
- A Martin Luther King Jr. Sunday January 19, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Sanctuary and Service January 5, 2014 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Solstice Celebration December 22, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Making Room December 8, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Sexuality and the Sacred December 1, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Reading Ruth November 17, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Chocolate as Divine Inspiration October 27, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- What are People For? October 20, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- What About God? October 6, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh with George Dershimer
- Wandering Under the Night Sky September 29, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Balancing Act September 22, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Stages of Faith September 8, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- The Work of the Church September 1, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Getting to Know You August 25, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Howdy Partner Theology August 18, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
Sermons by Other People - Members and Invited Guests of St. John's
- The Evensong Experience July 13, 2014 Robert Fawley and Luke Hoff
- Humanism and Unitarian Universalism June 29, 2014 Dick Bozian, M.D. in text format.
- The Compassion Course June 22, 2014 Diane Wright
- Themes of Disney Films, a YRUU Service April 27, 2014 by Erin, Emily & Julia
- Capital Punishment Revisited March 30, 2014 Howard Tolley Sermon in text format.
- Puppy Dog Tails or, Gender Equality January 12, 2014 Rev. Dr. Frank Carpenter
- To Make a Contribution October 13, 2013 Rev. Troy Jackson
- The 10,000 Year Revolutionary August 11, 2013 Kathleen Smythe
- Presentation July 21, 2013 Dr. Leslie Evelo, PhD
- A Journey from Hinduism to Interfaith Unitarian Universalism July 28, 2013 Ray K. Nandya
- She Who Bumps into Things: St. Kateri Tekakwitha July 14, 2013 Diane Wright
- Why I Decided Not to Live Up to My Potential July 7, 2013 Rev. Lucas Hergert
- Responding to Family Homelessness June 2, 2013 Georgene Getty, Executive Director Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Kaleidescope May 19, 2013 Barbara Hadden
- Love and Commitment February 3, 2013 Ruth Anne Wolfe and Sherry Tippey
- From Segregation to Incarceration January 20, 2013 Howard Tolley or read as Text
- Nature and Being Human January 13, 2013 Kathleen Smythe
- New Ways of Being in Community, New Ways of Seeing the World Peacefully Together January 6, 2013 Rabbi Jordan Helfman
- Gifts Given, Gifts Received November 25, 2012 John Kachuba
- Race and Justice in Ohio October 28, 2012 David Singleton, Executive Director of the Ohio Justice and Policy Center
- The Purpose of Place October 21, 2012 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh, Settled Minister beginning August 1, 2013
- The Journey Is Our Home September 30, 2012 Melissa Rowland and Charles Seibert
- Where Do You Go When You've Sold Your Soul, Part 2 July 1, 2012 Rev. Bonnie Meyer
- St. John's on St. John's Day: Thoughts on the Baby and the Bathwater June 24, 2012 Diane Wright
- On This Father’s Day June 17, 2012 Kathy Rentz and Susan Small
- Remembering Our Veterans and Understanding PTSD May 27, 2012 Dr. Kathleen Chard
- The Secret Life of the UU Teen May 6, 2012 Alexandra, Jo Ellen, Ashley, Erin and Emily
- UU Lives That Made a Difference April 29, 2012 Vivian Kline, Frank Meyer, and Melissa Rowland
- UU Social Justice Outreach for Global Ministry (text) or as Audio March 25, 2012 Howard Tolley.
When reading this sermon look at the list of Outreach Grants made by St. Johns over the past 20 years.
- A Theory of Social Justice: Compassion, Not Guilt March 18, 2012 written by Rev. Kenneth Collier
- Spirituality--A Many Splendored Thing February 26, 2012 Sally Larson and Ron Hoffman
- Making Room: Lots of Change in our Lives and Little Change in Our Pockets January 29, 2012 Diane Wright
- This is My Song January 1, 2012 Kari Olsen and Manuel Susarret
- Hold On To What You Must Do November 27, 2011 Rev. Lucas Hergert
- Melting Pot, Rainbow or Mosaic? American and 21st Century Immigrants October 9, 2011 Howard Tolley or read the sermon as (text)
- Liberal vs Conservative Conscientious Objectors (text) August 30, 2009 Howard Tolley
- How Science Helps Religion July 16, 2011 Frank Meyer
- Building A Heritage of Peace, Love and Justice (text) November 16, 2008 with Howard Tolley.
- The Non-Duality of Good & Evil: Reflections on a New Holy War (text) October 2, 2007 guest sermon by David R. Loy