Community Worship Services and Children’s Religious Exploration begin each Sunday at 11:00 AM
December 8 at 11AM
"Making Room: Hospitality for Hope"
Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
In the Biblical story of Jesus’ birth, there is no room at the inn. That part of the story has me thinking about the different ways we make room for people and possibilities. Set aside the clutter of the holiday for a Sunday morning and make a little room for new possibilities. Order of Service
December 15 at 11AM
Winter Choral Service
A Sunday not to be missed! Dr. Catherine Roma, Minister of Music, Rachel Kramer, Associate Director of Music and our amazing choir have created a moving service of choral music. Without shying away from the realities of life’s many hardships, they bring the voice of hope and peace to grace the season.
December 22 at 11AM
We are people of earth and water pulled by the moon and seeking the sun. Today we will honor many traditions that celebrate the solstice as we turn again towards daylight.
December 24 at 7PM
"Christmas Eve Service"
Traditional service of readings and carols.
December 29 at 11AM
"Members' Stories: Becoming who we are Becoming"
As we gather on the cusp of a new year, worship associates, Melissa Rowland and Nina Tolley have organized a service which lifts up members’ stories of transformation and revival.
January 5 at 11AM
"Sanctuary and Service"
St. John’s church has existed continuously since 1814. Like all churches, we have had to balance creating a safe place for people who need sanctuary with service to the community beyond our doors. How do we, as a church and as individuals, hold the balance of sanctuary and service well enough to keep us going? Come start the New Year.
Our Mission: St. John’s is committed to creating a safe and caring community, working for peace and social justice, and celebrating beliefs that respect freedom of thought.
Sermons by our minister the Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh and guests are available here. Most are available as recorded sermons and others are text indicated by (text).
You are welcome to listen to or download our sermons. Share them with friends if you think they will inspire them. Please respect the source of these words of as well as the law that requires permission to reproduce or sell them. Enjoy!
Sermons by our minister the Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Making Room December 8, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Sexuality and the Sacred December 1, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Chocolate as Divine Inspiration October 27, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- What are People For? October 20, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- To Make a Contribution October 13, 2013 Rev. Troy Jackson
- What About God? October 6, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh with George Dershimer
- Wandering Under the Night Sky September 29, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Balancing Act September 22, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Stages of Faith September 8, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- The Work of the Church September 1, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Getting to Know You August 25, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
- Howdy Partner Theology August 18, 2013 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh
Sermons by Other People - Members and Invited Guests of St. John's
- The 10,000 Year Revolutionary August 11, 2013 Kathleen Smythe
- Presentation July 21, 2013 Dr. Leslie Evelo, PhD
- A Journey from Hinduism to Interfaith Unitarian Universalism July 28, 2013 Ray K. Nandya
- She Who Bumps into Things: St. Kateri Tekakwitha July 14, 2013 Diane Wright
- Why I Decided Not to Live Up to My Potential July 7, 2013 Rev. Lucas Hergert
- Responding to Family Homelessness June 2, 2013 Georgene Getty, Executive Director Interfaith Hospitality Network
- Kaleidescope May 19, 2013 Barbara Hadden
- Love and Commitment February 3, 2013 Ruth Anne Wolfe and Sherry Tippey
- From Segregation to Incarceration January 20, 2013 Howard Tolley or read as Text
- Nature and Being Human January 13, 2013 Kathleen Smythe
- New Ways of Being in Community, New Ways of Seeing the World Peacefully Together January 6, 2013 Rabbi Jordan Helfman
- Gifts Given, Gifts Received November 25, 2012 John Kachuba
- Race and Justice in Ohio October 28, 2012 David Singleton, Executive Director of the Ohio Justice and Policy Center
- The Purpose of Place October 21, 2012 Rev. Mitra Jafarzadeh, Settled Minister beginning August 1, 2013
- The Journey Is Our Home September 30, 2012 Melissa Rowland and Charles Seibert
- Where Do You Go When You've Sold Your Soul, Part 2 July 1, 2012 Rev. Bonnie Meyer
- St. John's on St. John's Day: Thoughts on the Baby and the Bathwater June 24, 2012 Diane Wright
- On This Father’s Day June 17, 2012 Kathy Rentz and Susan Small
- Remembering Our Veterans and Understanding PTSD May 27, 2012 Dr. Kathleen Chard
- The Secret Life of the UU Teen May 6, 2012 Alexandra, Jo Ellen, Ashley, Erin and Emily
- UU Lives That Made a Difference April 29, 2012 Vivian Kline, Frank Meyer, and Melissa Rowland
- UU Social Justice Outreach for Global Ministry (text) or as Audio March 25, 2012 Howard Tolley.
When reading this sermon look at the list of Outreach Grants made by St. Johns over the past 20 years.
- A Theory of Social Justice: Compassion, Not Guilt March 18, 2012 written by Rev. Kenneth Collier
- Spirituality--A Many Splendored Thing February 26, 2012 Sally Larson and Ron Hoffman
- Making Room: Lots of Change in our Lives and Little Change in Our Pockets January 29, 2012 Diane Wright
- This is My Song January 1, 2012 Kari Olsen and Manuel Susarret
- Hold On To What You Must Do November 27, 2011 Rev. Lucas Hergert
- Melting Pot, Rainbow or Mosaic? American and 21st Century Immigrants October 9, 2011 Howard Tolley or read the sermon as (text)
- Liberal vs Conservative Conscientious Objectors (text) August 30, 2009 Howard Tolley
- How Science Helps Religion July 16, 2011 Frank Meyer
- Building A Heritage of Peace, Love and Justice (text) November 16, 2008 with Howard Tolley.
- The Non-Duality of Good & Evil: Reflections on a New Holy War (text) October 2, 2007 guest sermon by David R. Loy