In 2014 St. John’s will celebrate 200 years as a congregation…one of the oldest in Cincinnati. From it’s beginning in 1814, St. John’s has been a meeting place for diverse groups.
The early congregation included immigrants from many countries, both Protestants and Catholics who found the church an independent haven for religious liberals. To continue in its liberal tradition, St. John's joined the American Unitarian Association in 1924 and then merged with Universalist churches in 1961.
The church built at 12th & Elm Streets in 1868 is still standing, but missing the steeple. It was our home for 78 years. In 1960 our current Clifton location at 320 Resor Ave. was completed with a distinctive, modern sanctuary.
Over the years fourteen ministers have served St. John’s, four women and ten men. Each challenged and supported us on our spiritual journey. But the history of our church is not in affiliations, buildings or ministers – it is in our relations to each other and to the wider world.
In the late 1800s, St. John’s provided leadership to found the German General Protestant Orphan's Home (now Beech Acres), necessary because of the cholera epidemic. The church was active in promoting fair treatment of the local German community during WWI and WWII. And during the 1960s, church members marched for civil rights.
Our “current history” is in the rest of these pages. We are passionate advocates for human rights for all. We teach our children to respect other's religious beliefs. We support artist and musicians as change-makers. From our Peacemaking Initiative to having fun together…we are a community that cares for each other and the wider world. Would you like to make history with us?